What is a Hybrid Car?
By Andrea Nicole
Posted on May 15, 2023
With the evolution of technology nowadays, there have been various advancements in the transportation world. One of the recent and trending ones is the hybrid car. In this article, we will be discussing what a hybrid car is, the types of hybrid cars, and their advantages and disadvantages. This will definitely help you with your next planned car purchase!
What is a hybrid car?
The simplest explanation for a hybrid car is a vehicle that uses more than one propulsion means. This may either be an electric motor along with either diesel or petrol. This combination works hand-in-hand with each other to make the car work. There are times, however, that the gas engines do all the work, other times it’s only the electric motor, while most of the time, it’s both.
Remember that this type of car, save for plug-in hybrids, can power the battery using its internal system. This means that there is no recharging needed for it to work.
What are the types of hybrid cars?
Plug-in hybrids, as the name suggests, straddle between being a fully electric vehicle and a conventional hybrid. This means that they house conventional engines that are bigger than the usual hybrids but also have the capacity to traverse longer trips through electric power alone.
In this configuration, the gasoline engine powers only the generator that charges the battery and is not connected to the wheels. All of the propulsion is provided by an electric motor.
The most prominent type of hybrid car is the parallel hybrid car. There are three different routes how to power the car’s wheels - using the electric motor alone, directly by the engine, or through the collaboration of both power sources.
In a hybrid of this type, the electric motor is unable to propel the vehicle on its own. The majority of the work is done by a gasoline or diesel engine, while an electric motor helps the gasoline engine by either increasing performance, decreasing fuel consumption, or both.
What are the pros and cons of using a hybrid car?
Source: Wikipedia Commons
- Environmental-friendly: The most obvious reason for shifting to a hybrid car is it being environmental-friendly. Given that this type of car relies more on its electric motor and gasoline engine, there is less dependency on fossil fuels. Thus, lowering the production of carbon dioxide emissions.
- Profitability: It’s known that there is an increase in the popularity of the usage of hybrid cars. Because of this, the resale value of a hybrid car is higher compared to an average car.
- Financial Benefits: In connection to it being environmental-friendly, the government has been promoting the increase in the usage of hybrid cars. This led to more benefits, such as incentives and tax credits, so that these kinds of cars will be more affordable and accessible to the general public.
- Lower Power Production: The combination of an electric motor and gasoline engine in this setup leads to the production of less power compared with that of gas-powered engines.
- Higher Expenses: Although there are financial benefits, the one-time payment in hybrid cars is higher than in a regular gasoline car. The technology it houses also requires higher maintenance costs.
- High Voltage Batteries: In instances of accidents, passengers face higher risks of being electrocuted because of its high voltage batteries. This makes the jobs of the rescuers more challenging.
Should you buy a hybrid car?
Source: Wallpaper Flare
The straight answer is that it depends on your priority. If you travel primarily within cities and towns, a hybrid automobile will benefit you because you'll get the most out of using only electric power.
You might be better off with an electric car if you frequently take short journeys and don't need the extra flexibility of a hybrid because you can travel within cities without emitting any exhaust emissions and without stopping at a gas station.
A mild hybrid or fuel-efficient diesel vehicle may be a better choice for you if you drive a lot of highway miles, as both are likely to offer higher high-speed fuel economy than a hybrid.
Regardless of what car you’ll purchase next, always remember to keep yourself secure. Vigattin Insurance is ready to be your partner on your next journey with its seamless process, great coverage, and excellent customer service.